Ingredients (Makes 2 servings)
- 1/2 cup of passion pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup of jasmine green tea
- 2 cups of mixed frozen fruits (Pineapple, Bananas, Sweet Potatoes, Oranges, Mango, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons of orange crème yogurt
Smoothies can be as healthy as you make them and can contain plenty of nutrients. The reason why this one is unique is that it's thick, very filling, contains green tea, and can easily substitute as a meal. Personally, I am not a fan of seeds in my smoothies and that’s why this one has no fruits with seeds, but feel free to use whichever fruits you like. It has a very smooth texture - like a thicker and healthier fruit juice. This smoothie is not watered down at all by ice or water as the frozen fruits in it make it cool. Then, it's smoothed out by the juice and tea. Bonus tip: If you wanted to try a little extra with another vegetable, add some carrot peels to make it a bit juicier.
Now let’s get started with some health facts...
- Green tea has amazing benefits and most people don't think to put it in smoothies. Over time, green tea has been proven to help with weight loss and skin care and to help fight against diabetes, esophageal cancer, high cholesterol, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, tooth decay, high blood pressure, and depression. It is said that drinking about two cups of green tea a day can be a powerful tool for your health. If someone is fond of the flavor, it's okay to substitute the other half cup of pineapple passion juice for a full cup of green tea. If you’re a person who doesn’t quite enjoy the taste, keep it at a half-cup and you won’t be able to taste it.
- Fruits are an essential part of a person's diet. Many fruits are naturally low in fat, sodium, calories and have no cholesterol. Fruits have many nutrients we need on a daily basis such as potassium, dietary fiber, and vitamin C. All of these nutrients combined help maintain healthy blood pressure, repair body tissue, keep teeth and gums healthy, and reduce cholesterol levels and the risk of heart disease. Sugar cravings can be satisfied by natural sugars found in fruits.
- The yogurt has a good amount of calcium and vitamin A. I used Yoplait yogurt, but that could be substituted for the yogurt brand of your choosing. The V8 Pineapple Passion juice has a whole serving of vegetables, a half serving of fruit, and no artificial sugar added. It also has protein, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and vitamin E.
I spent a total of $20.00 at the grocery store for all the ingredients. This recipe can make about 5 total servings while still having some ingredients left over. The only thing I ran out of was the fruit, with plenty of tea, juice, and yogurt left. This citrus smoothie is a healthy alternative for that morning coffee or heavy breakfast.
- By Ally Lowery, Dreissig Apparel Inc. Intern